You only want the best for the outdoor space you’ve always dreamed of. Your backyard is your own private oasis, a place to kick back and relax, so it’s important that this spot is not just beautiful but also functional and made to last. When you’re thinking about decking materials made to last, you’ll be choosing from wood or composite. Have you thought about what your dream deck will be made of? Maybe learning more about wood and composite along with their respective pros and cons, will help you decide.
A long time ago, when no other materials for decking were available, wood was the number one choice of homeowners. Aside from its natural look, wood also seemed to be the most practical. It looks great, is very durable, and comes in a variety of types across price ranges and styles.
Types of Wood Decking
- Pressure-treated wood – This wood is made resistant to insects and rotting by putting the wood under pressure after being soaked in chemicals.
- Cedar wood – Cedar decks are naturally resistant to insects and rot, which is why it’s known to be long-lasting and very easy to use.
- Exotic woods – Decks made of Ipe and Cumaru fall into this category. They look very luxurious and need intensive labor upon installation.
From the well-loved wood deck comes its more modern version, made to imitate wood’s natural look and feel. However, composites are the more durable and longer-lasting version of wood that requires less maintenance. It’s also stain and UV resistant being covered with plastic, and is, thus, not capable of fading or rotting over time. Composite decks can stand harsh weather for decades after it’s built.
Types of Composite Decking
- Solid composites – This material is ideal to use for swimming pool decks and house pathways because they are heavy and strong.
- Hollow composites – This material is lightweight and will need a support board underneath, such as fascia boards.
- Capped composites – This composite is double-layered and has a core and a cap. It’s made up of organic wood filler inside and recycled plastic.
Wood or Composite: Which is Better?
There are a number of factors to consider when making the right choice between these materials. As homeowners, some of these factors may have already crossed your mind as you think about adding a deck to your home.
- To anyone planning a home renovation, the cost is a top concern. Wood offers a lower upfront cost than composite. From its installation to the materials themselves, wood is the more affordable of the two. Composite deck installation, on the contrary, is more expensive, but for good reason. It comes with lots of benefits that you can enjoy for years to come, such as lower expenses on maintenance and upkeep because it is naturally stain-resistant.
- Composites are available in a variety of colors that can surely fit the ambiance and style of your home. But the natural look and smell of wood is hard to beat for some homeowners. Composite cannot completely mimic the look and smell of real wood, no matter how strong it is at resisting the effects of the elements outdoors.
Versatility in Style and Color
- Since appearance is everything for a deck to be comfortable and inviting, composite’s manufactured look to mimic real wood can be an advantage. It doesn’t need painting or staining. The color of composites also doesn’t change due to weather or UV rays. Wood, however, requires some sanding and coating to achieve your home’s desired color and style. Rotting, wear and tear, and splinters are more often found in wood decks than in composites.
Premier Deck Builders in Cape May County
Wood or composite decking? Regardless of which you choose, we are here to assist you! All Pro Cape May Deck Builders has been a trusted name in deck building in the area for years. Because we’ve been around, we know the role weather plays on decks. Our professional deck builders are trained to use highly modernized tools and equipment to provide our customers with the most effective deck building solutions.
Outdoor living spaces take on great challenges against the elements. Regular maintenance and checkup are what they need to stay in good condition and style. With us, your deck’s safety, durability, and functionality is a top priority. Since we’re building the deck that you have always wanted, rest assured that all your ideas and requirements will be in our plans. Together, we can make your outdoor space the best place for relaxation and more!
If you’re planning to add other features to your home, such as a porch, patio, pergolas, or shaded structures, let us know. We also offer other related services that are cost-effective and eco-friendly. Our success in this project is in your hands. When you’re happy and satisfied with our services, we’re more than rewarded. It’s our pleasure to serve you! Let’s begin your deck building journey today. Contact us at 609-739-7296.